Chicken Tikka Salad
(Cook with Harish)
By far the healthiest dish that one can put together in a jiffy, is Salads ! Refreshing, Crunchy, Sweet, Spicy and Tangy are a few flavour notes that we come to think of while relishing health in a bowl. A medley of any meat, vegetables or fruits of your choice tossed in a simple earthy dressing of salt, pepper and a splash of lemon juice and your good to go with a healthy portion of an Indian Style Salad.
Needless to say that it’s a must to include a salad to almost all your meals, it is a great way to beat the summer heat, is to have loads of these light and nutritious salads.
Tandoori spiced chicken breast:
The word tikka means bits, pieces or chunks in INDIAN. Chicken tikka is an easy-to-cook dish in which chicken chunks are marinated in special spices and then grilled on pan. This is one of India’s most popular dishes. Chicken tikka can also be made into chicken tikka salad.
- 1 cup fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp. ginger paste
- 3 tbsp. garlic paste
- 3 to 4 tbsp. garam masala
- 6 peppercorns (or 2 dry red chilies)
- 1/2 tsp. orange food coloring
- 1 cup fresh unsweetened yogurt (should not be sour)
- 2 1/4 lbs./1 kg. skinless and boneless chicken breast (or thigh, cut into 2-inch chunks)
- 1 large onion (cut into very thin rings)
- 3 tbsp. lime juice (or lemon juice, freshly squeezed)
- 1 tsp. chaat masala (available at most Indian groceries)
Pour the spice mix into a large bowl and add yogurt. Mix well. Add the chicken pieces and mix well. Cover the bowl and refrigerate. Allow to marinate overnight.
Place the chicken on the grill or in your oven with a tray underneath to catch drippings. Roast open until the chicken is browned on all sides and tender, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- medium sized onion, chopped
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
- 2 to 3 small sized cucumber, chopped
Add some baby spinach leaf
- 4 to 5 mint leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup coriander leaves, chopped (cilantro leaves)
- ½ or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder – optional
- 1 green chili or ¼ teaspoon red chili powder – optional
- black salt or rock salt or regular salt as require
- After cutting the vegetables and baby spinach take all of them in a bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Toss the salad well so that the ingredients are mixed evenly.
- check the seasonings and add more salt or lemon juice, if required.
- Serve the chicken tikka salad immediately