Kathal Ki Sabji
(Cook with Harish)
Kathal ki Sabzi – Indian Jackfruit Recipe: a quick, delicious recipe using kathal/jackfruit, aromatic Indian spices, and a few simple ingredients. This is a masaledar kathal ki sabzi with curry. This recipe is made using fresh jackfruit.
So, here I’m sharing this extremely easy and totally yummy Kathal ki Sabzi or Kathal curry today.
Ingredients required for Kathal (Jackfruit) ki Sabzi Recipe:
- Jackfruit (kathal) – 500 gms (cut into medium sized chunks)
- Onion – 2 big
- Tomatoes – 5 (medium)
- Ginger – 1 1/2 ”
- Garlic – 7-8 pods
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cinnamon stick – 1″ piece
- Coriander powder – 2 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri mirch powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Roasted cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp (chopped finely)
- Oil – 3 tbsp + some extra oil for deep frying jackfruit
- Water – 1 1/2 – 2 cups (Can be varied as per choice to make the gravy thick or thin)
- Salt – As per taste
How to make Kathal ki Sabzi:
- Cut the jackfruit into medium size (1.5 – 2”) chunks, peel the seeds, slice them and wash them thoroughly.
- Now in a pan/kadhai, deep fry the jackfruit chunks in batches until they attain a golden colour.
- Drain the jackfruit pieces on a filter paper or a kitchen towel to remove the excess oil.
- In a separate pan, add 3 tbsp of oil.
- Add the bay leaf and cinnamon stick and saute till it becomes aromatic.
- Add the onion paste and saute till the onions become slightly golden brown.
- Now add the ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw smell of ginger and garlic fades off.
- Now move the onion-ginger-garlic mixture to a side and add the tomato puree. Cook until oil starts separating from the tomato mixture.
- Add the coriander powder, red chilli powder, kashmiri red chilli powder and turmeric powder and saute on a low flame till the spices become fragrant.
- Now add 1/2 cup of water and evenly mix the masala so as to make a smooth paste.
- Add the fried jackfruit pieces.
- Mix it evenly till all the pieces are evenly coated with the masala.
- Now add 1 1/2 cups of water and mix evenly.
- Add the roasted cumin powder, garam masala and salt and cook it covered for 8-10 minutes till the jack-fruit pieces become soft and the gravy thickens.
- Switch of the flame and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with phulkas/roti or rice and onion rings.