(Cook with Harish)
Mango raita or aam ka raita, a tasty Indian relish or salad made with ripe mango, fresh yogurt or dahi and tempered with Indian spice Most homes prepare yogurt based dish which are cooling and provide respite from the sultry weather. We have numerous raita varieties prepared with vegetables like cucumber, onion, tomato, carrot, beetroot, spinach, and fruits like pineapple, mango and cucumber Raita is very popular in Indian homes due to the probiotic benefits of yogurt, flavor and ease of cooking. In fact, there is no cooking involved in a majority of the raitas.
Mango raita recipe
Prepare time: 10 min Serves: 5 5 Cuisine: north indian
- Yogurt 1 1/4 cups, fresh, thick, chilled and beaten till smooth.
- Ripe mango 1, large, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- Roasted cumin powder 1/2 tsp (jeera powder)
- Red chili powder 1/4 tsp
- Chaat masala large pinch
- Black salt large pinch (kala namak)
- Salt to taste
- Mint leaves few for garnish OR fresh coriander leaves
- In a bowl, add the fresh and thick curd and beat till smooth.
- Add 1/4 cup water and salt and mix well with a whisk.
- Add the chopped ripe sweet mango pieces and mix well.
- Sprinkle roasted cumin powder, red chili powder, chaat masala, and black salt over the raita.
- Garnish with fresh mint or coriander leaves. Chill until serving time.
- Serve as a meal by itself or as a dip or salad or side dish with a meal
- Use fresh homemade thick curd. It should not be sour.
- You can add a few pomegranate seeds for color and crunch.
- You can add 1/4 cup mango puree along with chopped mango pieces to the beaten curd.