(cook with Harish)
POTATO CUTLETS are seasoned potato patties popular in Northern India. Potatoes are boiled, mashed, then mixed with cumin seeds, onion, green chili, and cilantro. They are lightly fried to create a crisp exterior and soft center. Variations occur based on the region. In this you can add some peas also.
potato cutlets are best served warm from the skillet with green chutney, tamarind chutney, or even yogurt or ketchup. I made a Hari Chutney from with fresh cilantro and mint.
you can also dip the potato patties in egg .
If you have difficulty with sticking while forming the patties, wet your palms with a little water.
- some potatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 chopped red onion
- Salt to taste
- Green chili chopped
- fresh cilantro chopped , finely chopped
- 1 egg
- vegetable oil for frying
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Scrub the potatoes and cut them into 1 inch cubes. Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook until fork tender. Drain and allow to cool.
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the cumin seeds in a single layer. Cook just until fragrant and beginning to deepen in color, about 15 seconds. Immediately transfer to a small bowl.
- Peel the skins of the cooled potatoes and place the potato cubes in a large bowl. Mash the potatoes until mostly smooth. Some texture is fine. Mix in the roasted cumin seeds, onion, salt, chili and cilantro leaves.
- Take a piece of potato mixture the size of a golf ball and gently flatten to form a circle. Repeat with remaining potato
- in a large skillet, pour in a thin layer of oil, enough for shallow frying, over medium heat.
- In a wide bowl, beat the egg until smooth.
- Once the oil is thoroughly heated, dip a formed potato patty into the egg to coat both sides. Gently place in the hot oil. Fry until golden, about 40 seconds, then flip to the other side. Continue to fry until golden, another 40 seconds. Transfer to towel lined plate or wire rack. Repeat with remaining patties
- Serve warm.